8.08.2005

Another way that New York is crazy different from the rest of the world...

I had to go to the doctor today. 1) YUCK 2) I'm not dying (yet), don't worry. I just had to get a physical and some bloodwork for my intership at the hospital next month. Anyway, back home when you have to go to the doctor is no big deal right? You just get in your cute Honda and drive to the office, walk in the door, sit and wait and do your thing, right? Well, here, just like everything else, life is that much more ...what's the word...a step up in security, i guess is the best way to put it. I find the lovely 30 story (that was my guess) building on 59th Street and make my way in through the revolving doors. I enter into a HUGE lobby covered in marble and a very large security desk situated in the front. There was a line of people who had walked in the door so i figured that I should get in that line right? So I got behind the guy delivering lunch to some office and the guy in the business suit waiting to go up for a meeting. I got to the head of the line and gave my name and what I was there for to the guy behind the counter. He proceeds to type my name in the computer, see that I had an appointment with the doctor, print out a pass for me and instruct me to "Scan the card at the first turnstile and take the elevator to the 10th floor." So I walk over to the squatty metal thing with two arms blocking my way, stick my card in the side of it and the arms open up. Keep in mind that this whole time I'm trying EXTREMELY hard not to look super clumsy like I had never seen anything like this. I think I did a pretty good job, personally. So yeah, it was a little WEIRD! It was all perfectly normal once you got up to the 10th floor. Except for when the nurse got mad at me because I apparently didn't get the message that she left for me saying not to eat anything...and when she started asking me questions about where I lived and worked after she stuck the thermometer in my mouth. She was a bit odd and not so nice. But the doctor was nice and I only left with two bandaids on my arm. I only SORT of looked like I was a crazy drug addict as I walked home...

On other notes, for anyone looking for jeans, GAP's new fit of jeans is quite possibly the GREATEST pair of jeans that this hard-to-buy-jeans-for girl has ever owned. So all you girls (ah hem, heather ah hem) who feel my pain here, go to your nearest GAP and try them on (West County Mall has NO GAP -- a travesty -- try the Galleria). What do I love so much about them, you say? well a) there is NO jeanie-weanie (and don't even try to tell me you don't know what that is...) and b) there is no awkward gaping at the waist in the back. How they got that to go away, I'm not sure but I'd like them to continue doing whatever they are doing. I'm pretty much obsessed today as I wear them. Heck, I'll probably be just as obsessed tomorrow because I will most likely wear them AGAIN, I love them that much. Maybe someone from GAP will read this and give me a few more pairs for free....that'd be great...

1 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay--i finally bought my first pair of long and leans and now you're telling me there's something better!? i guess i will have to continue to call you before i purchase anything else :). just you wait--mom jeans WILL come back in--SOMEDAY! ps. ask the rents if we still get invited to thanksgiving? anon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home