8.30.2005

YUCKO

So one of the pitfalls of living in this wonderful city is the RODENT ISSUE that apparently everyone has. So as a good New Yorker, I got a cat to take care of the problem. And taken care of it, it has, mostly. They don't make themselves known all over my counters as they used to prior to Chloe. However, up to this point, I have had a hunch that they still live down in the corner but honestly I'm ok with that as long as they don't decide they want a piece of dinner and don't use the toilet for their bodily functions. That's when a healthy relationship with the rodent kind goes awry.

So I look out at said corner the other night and see Chloe watching the corner and darting her head back and forth like she was watching something. Bad sign. So I go over, get down on my hands and knees with the flashlight and try to see what she was looking at. Meantime, Chloe was looking at me like I was crazy for worrying about something that is 1/1000 of my size....WHATEVER...mice are frightening. So I look under the over and what do I see? THE LITTLE BEADY EYES!!! SIIIIICK. Of course, I scream and run for the living room in good ME form. I'm still not worried though, they hadn't shown themselves north of the floor. So the next day I wake up, gettin ready in the bathroom and I'm hearing this squeaky noise coming from the corner area. Another bad sign. So also in good ME style, I ignore it. Get back to the apartment later that afternoon and the squeaking is still going on. I CANNOT live with the little nasties if they are going to make noise. So out with the trusty flashlight and I open up the cabinet door to see where the noise is coming from. All of a sudden I realize that the noise isn't coming from the cabinet where I now have my head stuck into but ABOVE that. PLEASE NO. I take a step back, say to Nikki, "I think we have a sitation. Remeber the sticky trap that has been behind the microwave on the counter for a while?" You see where this is going...We then all proceed to scream and jump up and down waving our hands like little girls. When we calm down, Nikki says, "I'm not touching that thing!" WHA? I have to do it??? YUCKO. I get up my nerve and remember that I have some rubber examination gloves (I got them free from a convention so they just so happened to be green apple and grape flavor...) So I went and got the gloves (oh how I wish I had a picture of this) and redied my hands, one now green and one now blue, for the task ahead. I pulled the microwave out and see the poor little gray thing squirming and squeaking and stuck to the nasty sticky stuff. Yes I almost jumped and screamed again at the sight of a 2 inch rodent. I pulled myself together, pulled out the whole business and put it in a bag for NIKKI to take out to the trash. I am no animal rights activist but I felt TERRIBLE like a MURDERER! Crazy. But with a little more jumping up and down waving our hands like 15 year old girls at a sleepover, we all felt much better. Chloe has been pretty good keeping guard since then so that makes us happy. I don't like rodents....but I'm glad they are only the really small ones....
*deep sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home