7.15.2005

Oh, how I love thee, Air Conditioner...

So, I just finished week #3 at the externship. It's so crazy to think about, but I only have two more weeks there! Time really flies. It's all going to be over before I know it. So far, I've learned a few things from working there. I've learned that speech pathologists (and people in the education field in general) are disgustingly underpaid for the work they do and the influence they can have on the development, both physically and socially, of a child. I got a general ball park figure of how much the girls who work there make, and let me tell you, it's SAD. I've never really been political, but the state of the school systems and the little attention that problems get is really really frustrating to someone who wants to help kids. Something has got to be done.

Secondly, I've learned that, no matter how much you plan (or don't really plan in my case) your plan can be thrown to the wind the second the kids walk in and you better be ready to adapt to what their needs are. For example, you've gotta be ready to take on two extra 7 year old boys 5 minutes before the session starts and be able to ad lib therapy for them while still focusing on the child that your normally work with. It's a challenge to say the least. But it's exciting. One of the kids today ran out to his mom afterwards with his hands waving in the air saying, "I'm a GENIUS!!!!" It was so cute.

Thirdly, I've learned that I LOVE AIR CONDITIONING!!!! This school is not air conditioned making working in July in the city heat TONS of fun. The best part of the day is when i walk to the train afterwards, get on and get to sit in the a/c for 45 minutes. Coming home is even better but that happens much later. The air conditioner at my apartment makes sleeping comfortable, watching tv comfortable, and get this, I even fix my hair sometimes!!!! WHOA!

On other notes, I booked my flight to come home! I'll be keepin it real in the S T L September 2-5. And I think I'm bringing some New Yorkers with me! I know at least Sara is coming. I told her we would go line dancing....there may be a visit to Wild Country (does anyone know if that place is still open?) So yeah, I'd like to hang with some of the old pals if anyone has a minute. CALL ME! Well, my bed is calling out to me because we have not spent enough time together this week. Weekends are GLORIOUS!

Love to all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home